We are getting closer and closer to the Holiday Seasons–yay! While you’re either freaking out about that (haha), or getting your plans together, we wanted to give you some important information regarding foods seen during this time that are toxic for your pets.
The number one item (and you probably knew this one): Chocolate.
Chocolate of any kind is toxic. However, the rule goes like this: the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Dogs of different sizes and weight can also be effected differently to the same type of chocolate. Ingested chocolate can lead to seizures and also death. This isn’t something to play around with or leave out and about.
Next we have: Garlic, Onions & Chives.
Ingesting even small amounts of these can cause serious effects, with onions being of the highest risk. Both onions and garlic contain thiosulphate (onions contain more) which can cause situations that bring about anemia. So, when you are giving your pet a plate of holiday food, think twice–especially with what has been used to flavor the meal.
Next are: Grapes & Raisins.
Ingesting small amounts of these can be fatal for both cats and dogs. Believe it or not, these fruits can lead to kidney failure. Signs of poisoning can be vomiting which can also lead to diarrhea, lethargy and depression. These can commonly be found as side items, cookies, desserts, etc. Please be careful of what’s lying around while you are food-prepping, as well as what’s left over as “scraps.”
Lastly (who would’ve thought): Nutmeg.
Now, this spice is used in so many Holiday items. Alcoholic drinks, coffees, pumpkin pies, sweet potatoes, etc. This spice can cause seizures and other neurological problems to your pet. We do not promote feeding “people food” to your pet, but if you do, please be aware of this spice and make sure it is not in any of your Holiday foods you share with your pet.
Have a great rest of your day!