The Easter Holiday is upon us! Among other things, this day is fun for the family and kids with Easter baskets, egg hunts and chocolate. Surely you have seen some decorations around at this point or maybe have some of your own around the house.
For this reason, we wanted to let you know of some items that need to be kept out of reach of your pet.
Artificially Sweetened Candy:
Any and all candy should never be given to your pet. However, special attention needs to be given to anything containing the sweetener “Xylitol.” This is incredibly toxic to your pet and can cause death. (As a note, some gum also contains this sweetener.) If you think your pet may have ingested something containing this artificial sweetener, call our clinic immediately or bring your pet into us.
This is a poisonous plant for you pet. All parts of this plant are considered toxic and depending on how much is ingested, can cause kidney failure and/or death. Symptoms of having ingested parts of this plant include vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea and drinking a lot of water.
Cats love to play with this common Easter decoration. Just watch out for it because if it’s ingested it can be very painful for it to pass and may even require surgery.
We all know about this one. Keep the chocolate bunnies, eggs and whatever else contains chocolate away from your pet as it is very toxic. Remember, the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is.
Have a fun and happy Easter!!