Well, seeing that there was just a holiday there may be some chocolate bunnies around the house, chocolate eggs, chocolate cookies….
It’s commonly understood that chocolate is poisonous to your dog. This is true information. But, did you know that certain types of chocolate are more toxic than other types?
Generally speaking, the more bitter and darker the chocolate your dog finds, the greater the problems.
What makes chocolate so poisonous for your dog is that it contains caffeine and theobromine. When your dog eats this combination, it can lead to different medical problems later. It can even be fatal.
Different types of chocolate have different levels of the caffeine/theobromine combination. Baker’s Chocolate has the highest combination and is the most fatal if eaten. Milk Chocolate and Semi-Sweet Chocolate are both still dangerous for your dog but have lower levels of caffeine/theobromine. Any and all chocolate is highly toxic for any dog.
Some symptoms you should know if your dog sneakily found some chocolate are:
Increased heart rate
If you think your dog may have eaten chocolate and is exhibiting symptoms, Dr. Adney will perform tests to know if that is in fact what happened. He will do a complete physical exam and if necessary, he will do a blood test and will also take certain tests on the heart to ensure there is nothing abnormal.
Be careful with that Easter chocolate!!!