Halloween is just around the corner! We put together a short list of precautions to take with your pet.
Trick or Treaters
Keep your dog or cat in a space where they won’t dart out the door. Your door may be opening and closing a lot, so be aware of this! Additionally, please keep your pets indoors and not outside.
Any form of chocolate can be poisonous to your pet. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic. However, other candies can contain Xylitol as a sweetener. This sweetener is very toxic. Even a small amount can create a large drop in blood sugar for your pet. Please keep them clear of any Halloween candy.
Keep these out of reach from your pets. When they aren’t lit, your dog could possibly start to chew at it. Ingested enough, this type of food can cause gastrointestinal discomfort. Additionally, if you put a light in the pumpkin, keep it out of reach of any pet. Cats may find the dancing light curious and could try to paw at it and dogs could accidentally knock over the pumpkin and create a fire. It’s a good idea to place these decorative pieces in a place your pets aren’t normally around.
Ensure your pet’s costumes aren’t too tight. Ensure they aren’t too uncomfortable and he or she can still use the bathroom. You may want to have your pet wear their costume a bit early so they start getting used to it.
Get your pet microchipped and ensure he or she has their collar on. They could get spooked and take off…in which case you want to make sure you have all forms of identification you can.
Please use these safety tips. We hope you all have a great rest of the month!