Given that it’s the holiday season, there are plenty of decorations out at your house, you family’s, outdoors, etc. We wanted to let you know of some plants that you may see this month that are toxic to your pet.
The first plant is Poinsettias.
Poinsettias are actually not deadly to your pet. The plant itself contains a type of sap that is irritating to your pet’s mouth. He or she probably won’t eat much of it due to this. However, if the plant is ingested and in your pet’s system, you can expect some vomiting and at least diarrhea. Now if this plant has been treated with pesticides, well that’s a whole other issue. Watch your pet around this plant or display yours outside of your pet’s reach.
The next one on the list is The Christmas Tree.
The tree itself decorated full of lights and ornaments is a sure temptation for any cat to play with! If your cat ingests any of these particles, this can lead to long-term health issues. However, if you have a live tree, the smell can be tempting for any dog or cat especially if you know they like to chew on sticks outside. If your dog or cat starts chewing on a branch of your tree, more than likely he or she is already ingesting some of the needles. Given enough ingested, the needles can puncture part of your pet’s intestinal tract and it can become a big health issue.
The next one on the list is Holly.
Holly and mistletoe are bound to be around this season. Berries and holly are extremely toxic and should be guarded against. If enough of this plant is ingested, severe seizures and even death can follow. More than likely you will catch your pet in time. When you do, expect vomiting and/or diarrhea.
Call us if your pet has gotten into any of these and we will be glad to help you.