It is starting to get a bit hotter in our parts of Florida. The sun is shining brightly down as we go to put on even more suntan lotion and take another swig of our iced water as we sit by the pool. Sunglasses on, book open, chair back. SPLASH! In jumps the dog….
This blog is going to briefly go over some safety tips for you to be aware of while around the pool with your pets this summer.
- Supervision is most important. The reasons for this are obvious. However, if you want your dog to have some fun outside and can’t keep an eye on him the whole time, you can get an outdoor crate for him or her. Place the crate in the shade along with some water to drink and take care of what you need to…but be sure to come back in a timely fashion!
- Life jackets. Depending on your dog’s swimming skills, he or she may not need it. However, if you know your dog has a hard time with swimming, or his or her skills are questionable, have your dog wear a vest. You are guaranteed to get reactions like, “Oh, he’s so cute!” You can get dog life vests at some of these sites: Petco, PetSmart or Amazon.
- Putting up a fence around the area is also good for when you can’t be outside with them.
- Putting your dog back inside once drinking has begun.
- Consider using collars or pet alarms that let you know when he or she has jumped in the water. You can find these things online.
During this hot summer time, please be aware of your dog’s intake of water. Too little can be dehydrating and create health problems. Too much water can also create health risks. Just ensure your dog stays hydrated and supervised and you all will have a good time!
Love, Day and Evening Pet Hospital Staff