In the future it may be necessary to clean your pet’s ears at home if you can’t wait to bring them to the vet or groomer.
We’d like to let you in on a little secret! You can clean them easily at home with a simple tool.
Firstly, did you know that dogs and cats have “L” shaped ear canals? This is one of the many reasons why it’s important to keep your pet’s ears cleaned regularly due to infectious agents or allergens which can irritate and infect your pet’s ears. Any type of bacteria can stay in the bend of that “L” shape and if left unhandled can lead to other (and more problematic) health problems. These bacteria can also make for some stinky ears! At-home ear cleaning is recommended to help:
- Removing any accumulation of dirt, wax, or other substances
- Limiting the amount of build-up of bacteria and smells
- Maintaining normal function of the skin of the ear canal
All you need are 3 supplies:
- Ear cleanser or flush
- Cotton balls or a soft gauze
- Treats for their reward
Two very easy to use ear cleaners we recommend and can be picked up at the clinic are:
- OtiRinse® which is a ear cleansing and drying solution. It also contains aloe vera to help calm irritation. It has a floral aroma to help with any possible smells. It is for both dogs and cats.
- T8 Keto® which is a flush. This does cleans, helping to prevent wax buildup. It also fights yeast and other bacteria as it cleans.
If you need any help with application, we would be happy to help and show you!